This dinner has it all - slow-cooked meat, four veg and fragrant herbs - for less than $2 a head.
The ingredient of Beef, barley and vegetable soup
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 350g beef blade steak, excess fat trimmed, cut into 1.5cm pieces
- 1 brown onion, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1.5L (6 cups) water
- 3 teaspoons Massel chicken style stock powder
- 105g (1/2 cup) pearl barley, rinsed, drained
- 1 large potato, peeled, coarsely chopped
- 1 large carrot, peeled, coarsely chopped
- 2 celery sticks, trimmed, coarsely chopped
- 1 large ripe tomato, coarsely chopped
The instruction how to make Beef, barley and vegetable soup
- Heat half the oil in a large saucepan over high heat. Add the beef and cook, stirring often, for 2-3 minutes or until browned. Transfer to a plate.
- Add remaining oil to the pan. Add the onion and cook, stirring occasionally, for 5 minutes or until soft. Add the garlic and oregano, and cook, stirring, for 1 minute or until aromatic.
- Add the beef, water, stock powder, pearl barley, potato, carrot and celery. Bring to the boil, skimming the surface with a metal spoon to remove any scum. Reduce heat to low. Cook, partially covered, for 1 hour or until the beef is tender.
- Add the tomato. Cook for 5 minutes or until heated through.
- Season with salt and pepper. Ladle among serving bowls.
Nutritions of Beef, barley and vegetable soupfatContent: 315.48 calories
saturatedFatContent: 10 grams fat
carbohydrateContent: 2.5 grams saturated fat
sugarContent: 32 grams carbohydrates
cholesterolContent: 24 grams protein