Delicious pieces of ham hock add a meaty touch to this hearty black bean soup.
The ingredient of Black bean and ham soup
- 310g (1 1/2 cups) dried black beans
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 large red onion, diced
- 1 leek, halved lengthways, washed, dried, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon chilli powder
- 2.25L (9 cups) water
- 1 large (about 800g) smoked ham hock
- 2 bay leaves
- Ground black pepper, to taste
- Sour cream, to serve
- Fresh coriander leaves, torn, to serve
The instruction how to make Black bean and ham soup
- Place the beans in a large bowl and cover with plenty of cold water. Set aside overnight to soak. (See microwave tip.) Drain well.
- Heat oil in a large saucepan over low heat. Add onion, leek, garlic, cumin and chilli powder. Cook, covered, stirring often, for 10 minutes or until onion is soft.
- Add beans, water, ham and bay leaves. Increase heat to high and bring to boil. Use a large metal spoon to skim scum from surface. Reduce heat to medium and simmer, partially covered, stirring twice, for 1 1/2 hours or until beans are soft.
- Remove ham hock and bay leaves from pan. Discard the bay leaves. Cut the ham from the bone, then cut into thin strips. Set aside. Transfer the soup to the bowl of a large food processor and process until almost smooth (you may need to process the soup in 2 batches). Return the soup to the saucepan and reheat over low heat. Taste and season with pepper.
- Ladle the soup into bowls. Top with sour cream, ham strips and coriander.
Nutritions of Black bean and ham soupfatContent: