Find out why chicken soup is good for the soul with this traditional recipe.
The ingredient of Classic chicken soup
- 1 x 1.4kg (size 14) chicken
- 2 large brown onions, finely chopped
- 2 cups loosely packed fresh continental parsley leaves
- 4 garlic cloves, crushed
- 60mls (1/4 cup) fresh lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 5 celery sticks, cut into lcm pieces
- 5 medium carrots, cut into lcm pieces
- 2 medium tomatoes, halved
- Salt & ground black pepper, to taste
- 1.5L (6 cups) water
The instruction how to make Classic chicken soup
- Rinse the inside of the chicken. Remove the tail and neck, and as much skin as possible from the chicken.
- Combine the onions, parsley, garlic, lemon juice and soy sauce in a large saucepan. Cook over medium heat for 5-8 minutes or until the onions are soft. Add the chicken, celery, carrots and tomatoes and season with pepper. Add the water and bring to the boil.
- Reduce heat to low and simmer, covered, for 1 hour or until the chicken is tender and comes away from the bones easily.
- Remove from heat, cool for 10 minutes and place the soup in the fridge to chill overnight. (This allows the fat to rise to the surface and set.)
- Next day, remove the soup from the fridge and use a large metal spoon to remove the layer of solidified fat from the surface.
- Remove the chicken from the soup and place in a large bowl. Use your fingers to remove the meat from the bones and shred into pieces. Discard the bones. Return the chicken meat to the soup.
- Bring the soup to the boil over medium heat and simmer until the chicken and vegetables are heated through. Remove the soup from the heat and skim a piece of paper towel over the surface to absorb any excess fat.
- Season with salt and ladle the soup into deep soup bowls. Sprinkle with pepper and serve.
Nutritions of Classic chicken soupfatContent: 324.084 calories
saturatedFatContent: 17 grams fat
carbohydrateContent: 5 grams saturated fat
sugarContent: 8 grams carbohydrates
fibreContent: 8 grams sugar
cholesterolContent: 32 grams protein
sodiumContent: 116 milligrams cholesterol