Chase away the winter chills with this hearty beef and barley soup.
The ingredient of Beef and barley soup
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 600g Coles Australian beef blade roast, trimmed, cut into 3cm pieces
- 1 large brown onion, halved
- 2 thyme sprigs
- 2 celery sticks, thickly sliced
- 2 carrots, chopped
- 1 bay leaf
- 3 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 5 cups (1.25L) Massel beef style liquid stock
- 3/4 cup (150g) pearl barley, rinsed
- 100g green beans, trimmed, cut into 4cm lengths
- Thyme sprigs, extra, to serve
The instruction how to make Beef and barley soup
- Heat oil in a large saucepan over medium-high heat. Add beef and cook for 5 mins or until browned all over. Transfer to a heatproof plate. Add onion, thyme, celery, carrot, bay leaf and garlic. Cook for 3 mins or until starting to brown. Add cinnamon and cook for 30 seconds or until fragrant. Add stock and 3 cups (750ml) water. Bring to the boil. Return beef to pan. Reduce heat to medium-low and simmer, covered, for 1 hour or until beef is just tender.
- Add barley and return to a simmer. Simmer, uncovered, for 30-40 mins or until barley is tender. Season.
- Stir in beans. Cook for 5 mins or until beans are just tender. Serve topped with extra thyme sprigs.
Nutritions of Beef and barley soupfatContent: