Make a big pot of this hearty chilli bean soup and freeze it in individual portions for those nights when you dont feel like cooking.
The ingredient of Chilli bean soup
- 1/4 cup (60ml) olive oil
- 1 onion, roughly chopped
- 1 red capsicum, roughly chopped
- 1 celery stalk, roughly chopped
- 1/2 dried red chilli (see note)
- 1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika(pimenton)
- 1 bay leaf
- 400g can chopped tomatoes
- 400g can kidney beans, rinsed, drained
- 1 tablespoon hot chilli sauce
- 800ml Massel vegetable liquid stock
- 1 corn tortilla, cut into strips
- Lemon juice, to serve
- Small handful cherry tomatoes (about 50g), chopped
- 3 coriander sprigs, leaves chopped
- 1/4 cucumber, seeds removed, chopped
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
The instruction how to make Chilli bean soup
- Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a saucepan over medium heat. Throw in the onion, capsicum, celery, dried chilli, paprika and bay leaf, then give it a good stir. Reduce the heat to low, then pop the lid on, slightly askew, and cook for 10 minutes or until the vegies are soft.
- Stir through the tomatoes, beans, chilli sauce and stock, then increase heat to medium and cook for 10 minutes or until slightly reduced. Remove from heat, discard the bay leaf, then season.
- Meanwhile, heat the remaining 2 tablespoons oil in a large frypan over medium-high heat. Once hot (test with a corner of tortilla), fry the tortilla strips, in batches if necessary, until crisp and golden. Remove with a slotted spoon and drain on paper towel.
- To make the salsa, combine the ingredients in a bowl and set aside.
- Whiz the soup with a stick blender (not too smooth, a few lumps are good), pour into a bowl and top with the tortilla strips, salsa and lemon juice.
Nutritions of Chilli bean soupfatContent: 341.77 calories
saturatedFatContent: 19.4 grams fat
carbohydrateContent: 2.8 grams saturated fat
sugarContent: 35.9 grams carbohydrates
fibreContent: 10 grams sugar
cholesterolContent: 9.8 grams protein