Aromatic Asian flavours are easy to reproduce at home with this simple chicken soup.
The ingredient of Hot and sour chicken soup
- 3 tablespoons (1/4 cup) tom yum paste (see note)
- 1L (4 cups) Massel chicken style liquid stock
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 500g chicken breast fillets
- 425g can straw mushrooms, drained (see note)
- 1/2 cup (125ml) lemon juice
- 2 cups bean sprouts
- 3 spring onions, roughly chopped
The instruction how to make Hot and sour chicken soup
- Place a large saucepan over medium heat. When hot, add the tom yum paste and cook for 2 minutes until fragrant.
- Add 1L (4 cups) water, the chicken stock, sugar and chicken fillets. Bring to the boil, then reduce the heat to medium-low and simmer for 10 minutes. Add the mushrooms for the final minute to heat through.
- Remove the chicken and use two forks to coarsely shred the meat, then return to the soup. Remove the saucepan from the heat and stir in the lemon juice.
- To serve, ladle the soup into bowls and top with the bean sprouts and chopped spring onion.
Nutritions of Hot and sour chicken soupfatContent: 273.655 calories
saturatedFatContent: 6 grams fat
carbohydrateContent: 4 grams saturated fat
sugarContent: 19 grams carbohydrates
fibreContent: 13 grams sugar
cholesterolContent: 33 grams protein
sodiumContent: 74 milligrams cholesterol