Delicious pieces of salty bacon add a meaty touch to this hearty thyme-infused soup.
The ingredient of Bacon, thyme and parsnip soup
- 3 rindless bacon rashers, finely chopped
- 1 brown onion, coarsely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 teaspoon fresh thyme leaves
- 1L (4 cups) Massel vegetable liquid stock
- 250ml (1 cup) water
- 6 (about 1kg) parsnips, peeled, cut into 2cm pieces
- 80ml (1/3 cup) thickened cream
- Fresh thyme leaves, to serve
- 8 x 1.5cm-thick slices sourdough baguette (French breadstick), toasted
The instruction how to make Bacon, thyme and parsnip soup
- Heat a large saucepan over medium heat. Add the bacon, onion, garlic and thyme and cook, stirring, for 5 minutes or until the onion is soft.
- Add the stock and water to the pan. Increase heat to high and bring to the boil. Reduce heat to medium-high. Add the parsnip and simmer, partially covered, for 15 minutes or until parsnip is tender. Set aside for 10 minutes to cool.
- Place half the mixture in the jug of a blender and blend until smooth. Transfer to a saucepan. Repeat with the remaining mixture. Place over low heat and cook, stirring, for 2 minutes.
- Ladle the soup among serving bowls and drizzle over the cream. Sprinkle with extra thyme and season with pepper. Serve with the toasted bread.
Nutritions of Bacon, thyme and parsnip soupfatContent: 550.895 calories
saturatedFatContent: 16 grams fat
carbohydrateContent: 7 grams saturated fat
sugarContent: 70 grams carbohydrates
fibreContent: 18 grams sugar
cholesterolContent: 24 grams protein
sodiumContent: 44 milligrams cholesterol